Atlantis Alumni

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Obama

My friend Louise wrote to me: "Vote for Obama because he is going to need your vote in PA. Anyhow, all our votes matter every time."

Louise and I go round and round on voting because I won't vote for the lesser of two evils. I won't vote for a candidate on one side because the other side is so much worse.

So I wrote back to Louise that I'm considering voting for Obama...BUT:

If the Senator were fully supportive of marriage equality, I would be much more inclined to vote for him. However, he does not support the right of gays and lesbians to legally marry. In this he is actually behind the curve. Marriage equality has been in effect in Mass. for several years now, and in a few short weeks gays and lesbians anywhere in the country will be able to marry legally in California. But the political calculation trumps even what has already been recognized in two states as right and just. That is unfortunate and leaves many gay men and lesbians feeling that they cannot support Obama. It's not just me. You can read the gay blogs and the disappointment is obvious. That he is so much more desirable on other issues than any Republican doesn't help much. We need a leader with the courage to do what he knows is right when it comes to gays and lesbians.

Jim

No comments: