Atlantis Alumni

Friday, December 7, 2012

Marriage Equality Before The Supreme Court

We may get some word this afternoon about the fate of California's Proposition 8 and the various appeals of decisions against the Defense Of Marriage Act. What would make me happy is if the Court let the lower court decisions on Prop 8 stand (making marriage equality legal again in California,) and a decision to accept one or more of the DOMA cases. But the court doesn't often make me very happy with the conservative majority usually prevailing. The Court shifted radically when Thurgood Marshall was replaced by Clarence Thomas. When we will get a chance to radically alter the balance of power in that fashion again...but the other way? If I had to predict what the court will do, I think they will delay justice once again in California by sending the Prop 8 case back to the 9th circuit for further consideration. I think they will have to take on DOMA, however.

No comments: