Atlantis Alumni

Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11, 2001 Remembered



Photo: another view of the Parthenon, Athens.

September 11, 2001. I was at our home on Fire Island, checking my morning email, when I got a message from a friend in Washington, DC about the attacks. From that point on, life changed for all Americans, mostly not for better. My thoughts are for those who perished that day, and for America's future. I'm not convinced that we are on the right track to prevent another 911. Our dependence on foreign oil, our refusal to be responsible about energy, our engagement in unnecessary wars, and on and on leads me to fear for our future as a nation. Ultimately it is the American people who bear the responsibility for the course we have charted as a nation. What will it take to awaken the population of our country to the fact that we can no longer be the world's bully, the world's policeman, and the only nation that can do whatever it wants without responsibility and without repercussions from our actions?

No comments: