Atlantis Alumni

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Is Reading Online Really Reading?

The New York Times has started an interesting series on the topic of reading on the Internet, examining the pros and cons of online reading vs. reading books, etc.:

Clearly, reading in print and on the Internet are different. On paper, text
has a predetermined beginning, middle and end, where readers focus for a
sustained period on one author’s vision. On the Internet, readers skate through
cyberspace at will and, in effect, compose their own beginnings, middles and
ends.

I read exclusively online these days. I enjoy the reading I do on the computer. I like the freedom to jump around and edit what I read, which you really can't do with a book. But what about children learning to read and progressing through their education? It will be interesting to see what the Times comes up with.

Jim

No comments: