Atlantis Alumni

Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday 2007

I always go downtown on Black Friday. It's festive and fun, and I get a kick out of mingling with the shoppers. Everyone's mood is usually better than normal, the effect of the holiday season that we all wish we could extend to the rest of the year. So I'll have lunch downtown and immerse myself in the holiday shopping madness.
I enjoyed cooking yesterday for Thanksgiving. On the menu here besides the roast turkey breast: mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce (Ocean Spray,) buttered rutabagas, sweet potato, corn bread dressing or stuffing, gravy, salad, sliced avocado, and pumpkin mousse for desert.
I watched "Home Alone" after dinner. This 1990 treasure grows on me each time I see it. As with many other of my favorite movies, each time I watch them I see something that catches my attention. This time I particularly enjoyed the scenes with the wonderful John Candy, one of my favorite film comedians, who died several years ago. He just had a way of playing the comic-tragic little guy, even though he was as big as a house.
PHOTO: This great clock stands outside the Reading Terminal Head House. Actually, this is an exact reproduction of the original clock that stood in the same place for close to a century. I have a picture of that one that I took a long time ago around here somewhere. I'll have to dig it out.
Jim

No comments: