Atlantis Alumni

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Returning To Scuba Diving In St. Barth

Returning to scuba diving after open heart surgery is controversial. Certain post-surgical conditions militate against diving, as does taking anti-coagulants (blood thinners.) Prior to surgery I specifically asked my surgeon about diving after my recovery. He assured me that there were “no restrictions,” those were his very words, to the chagrin of my poor husband Dan. Of course, had I not fully recovered, or if I found myself with one of the many conditions that are a contraindication to scuba diving, then I would not be diving today. However, thanks to a skilled surgeon, some good luck, and determination on my part, I have returned to the sport that I have enjoyed for 36 years. Here are a few photos from my diving on Friday in St. Barth, my first time down under since before my surgery last year. The Mooray eel is a baby whose head is no more than a couple of inches in size. The dive site was the North side of Le Pan de Sucre.

No comments: