Atlantis Alumni

Thursday, May 29, 2008

A poem for Scott


After listening to two nights of shocked MSM revelations about Scott McClellan, I had a few revelations of my own. Nothing as terribly earth shattering as I am sure poor Scott has been through. Still, I thought I would put a few of them into words. They seemed to flow together very easily like poetry in my head.

I have been Jewish every day of my life and I love my relegion (this isn't the poem yet). One thing about us Jews, we are introspective to a fault. We can't help but examine ourselves and constantly ask questions on top of questions. So I am curious how Scott came to the part of his life that has facilitated his own self examination. First a thought from my Bar Mitzvah speech and a very famous Jewish Philosopher, relegious teacher and scholar, Hillel:

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me. If I am only for myself, what am I? If not now, when?" And also "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow."

Pretty profound statements to live by, even in today's "enlightened society". Using the above as my guide, I thought to myself what it must be like to be the conscience of Scott McClellan.

Thus the poem.
Title: My Conscience Thought

Under a blue White House sky, reality is breached and bent.
We're not sure where it went or if it was ever there at all.
The questions we have are many and varied.
What happened to the levies, why weren't they steadied?

What made a war and why are innocents dying?
Why are children left behind with their teachers crying?

Why has the land continued to be ravaged?
What happened to jobs and our economy, both have been savaged.
Our soldiers reflect our souls and should be advantaged.

When did torture become ok?
How did we ever get this way?

Scott, is your conscience clear?
Perhaps you waited to speak out of fear.
A lie is a lie even if it is spin.
The public has a right to know the trouble we're in.

For the next Scott McClellan, take heed of these thoughts.
Virtue and morals should not be bought.
Was the job worth it? It isn't too late, be there for others and try not to hate.

That's the end of this poem. Unfortunately I don't have a pithy ending because unfortunately too many politicians and Americans have not become introspective enough to ask some hard questions.
Five years too late Scott....
Seems like the root of our problems as a society; we don't ask questions first, we do what's easy and just look for answers and actions. Maybe if the American public started thinking more critically, we'd have fewer problems that seem so overwhelming. The main stream media isn't doing it for us people!

M


No comments: