Atlantis Alumni

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Films: Time For the Top Ten

At the Western boundary of Cherry Grove begins the path through the middle of the island that is such a delightful walk. You never know which animals you will see...deer, rabbits, turtles, etc. The foliage varies seasonally.
Now for something a little different: I watched the American Film Institute TV special last night on CBS. They have come up with their new top 100 movies of all time, an updated version of their original list from 1997. Here are the new top ten:

1 CITIZEN KANE
2 THE GODFATHER
3 CASABLANCA
4 RAGING BULL
5 SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
6 GONE WITH THE WIND
7 LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
8 SCHINDLER'S LIST
9 VERTIGO
10 THE WIZARD OF OZ

It's tough to argue with their #1 pick. Everybody agrees that it's a masterpiece. I would axe The Godfather from the #2 spot. It would probably not even make my top ten. Ditto with Raging Bull. Singin' In the Rain is also out. Gone With The Wind is a maybe. Lawrence is not in my top ten. Schindler's List: good, but again, not in my top ten. Vertigo is great, but I prefer North By Northwest as a Hitchcock entry. Of course, the Wizard is wonderful (I want to keep my gay card). So, here's my top ten at the moment:

1. Citizen Kane
2. Casablanca
3. North By Northwest
4. The Wizard Of Oz
5. A Christmas Carol (1951)
6. Forbidden Planet
7. Modern Times
8. Stagecoach
9. It's A Wonderful Life
10. Shane

I'm a sentimentalist, as you can see by some of my picks, which were probably not included in the AFI's top 100. Alastair Sim as Scrooge in the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol has got to be one of the most wonderful portrayals ever put on film. In addition, the Addinsel score and the dark, moody b&w photography combined with the marvelous British character actors who filled out the cast make this movie a solid top ten member for me. In the sci-fi realm, I can still remember the first time I saw Forbidden Planet, a re-telling of Shakespeare's The Tempest set in a distant galaxy in the future. A good cast, wonderful special effects, and Robbie The Robot have been among my film world lifelong favorites. Chaplin's great silent masterpiece Modern Times is just so inventive and so funny. I'm a John Ford fan, and so Stagecoach gets the nod from me, although there are many other great Ford films. It's A Wonderful Life is a national treasure, neglected as it was for many years before being revived on TV. Finally, Shane, the George Stevens masterpiece with Alan Ladd's understated, hyper-masculine heroic performance combined with Jack Palance's evilness and Victor Young's great score rounds out my top ten for this morning. Of course, it could change by this afternoon. What are your top ten?

Jim

No comments: