Atlantis Alumni

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Inequality In The US: A Modern Gilded Age

Now that The Times is totally free again read economist Paul Krugman's blog. It's a "must read." He starts out with a bang:

I was born in 1953. Like the rest of my generation, I took the America I
grew up in for granted – in fact, like many in my generation I railed against
the very real injustices of our society, marched against the bombing of
Cambodia, went door to door for liberal candidates. It’s only in retrospect that
the political and economic environment of my youth stands revealed as a paradise
lost, an exceptional episode in our nation’s history.”

Krugman goes on to argue that the gap between the very rich and the rest of us has exploded to proportions not seen since the excesses of the Gilded Age. This he attributes to the rise of conservatism going back to the 1970s. We're ripe for a huge political change, Krugman argues. Perhaps, but who will be the agent of this change? We'll have to stay tuned!

Jim

No comments: