Atlantis Alumni

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

September As A Beginning

This photo shows the outdoor dining deck of one of the most famous and popular Fire Island eateries, "Matthews" in Ocean Beach. It's fun to have dinner overlooking the Great South Bay. Late in the season, when the days are shorter, you can watch the sun set over the bay from your table. The food is good with an interesting menu that features seafood.

We heard someone opine yesterday on TV that September is really the true beginning of the new year. Schools reopen, and everyone begins to get out of vacation mode and back into working and planning for the busy Fall-Winter season ahead. September for me has always been a nostalgic time, a warm, comfortable time to reflect on where I've been and where I'm going in life. I have a few albums that I like to listen to at this time of year, such as Sinatra's "September Of My Years." I always enjoy listening to several versions of Kurt Weil's great "September Song" during the month of September. A lot of great songs have September in their title. September is a special month, a month to enjoy the warm "Summer Wind" while it lasts, and to anticipate the enjoyment of the months ahead. September is truly a time of beginning.

Jim

No comments: